IRS Notice CP15 – Notice of Penalty Charge
A civil penalty has been charged the notice provides an explanation of why it was charged.
Type of Notice: Account information or change
Likely next step: Address an IRS penalty
Also see: IRS bill for unpaid taxes
Why you received IRS Notice CP15
- The IRS charged you a civil penalty. This penalty may be assessed due to:
- Providing false information regarding withholding taxes
- Failure to file certain information on returns
- Unpaid employment taxes by a business at which you are a responsible officer
- Understatement of taxes due to unrealistic positions
- Frivolous tax positions
- Failure to notify the IRS of a foreign tax redetermination as required
- An examination of Form 3520, Annual Return to Report Transaction with Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts
- An examination of Form 3520-A, Annual Information Return of Foreign Trust with a US Owner
- The IRS sent CP15 to notify you that a penalty was assessed and explain why it was assessed. This notice requests payment and explains that if you wish to dispute the penalty you must pay it first and then file a claim for refund.
Notice deadline: 10 days
If you miss the deadline: Interest will begin to accumulate.
Want more help?
Your tax professional can deal with the IRS for you. Learn more about H&R Block’s Tax Audit & Notice Services. Or make an appointment for a free consultation with a local tax professional by calling 855-536-6504 or finding a local tax pro.
Get help from an IRS expert
H&R Block’s experts can solve any IRS problem, no matter how complex.
Learn how to address and understand an IRS tax penalty from the tax experts at H&R Block.
How long penalty abatement takes depends on the type of penalty relief you’re requesting. Learn more from the tax experts at H&R Block.
The IRS grants four types of penalty relief, but many taxpayers don't ever ask. Learn how to request penalty abatement from the IRS.
You have options when you owe taxes. Get the facts about the best way to pay your tax bill with help from the experts at H&R Block.